This delicious twist on a sour is made using a stout simple syrup made from 14th Star Brewing's Maple Breakfast Stout. It takes a few hours of preparation, but it makes for a delicious and noteworthy cocktail using either our Straight Bourbon or Maple Cask Rum.
To make the stout simple syrup:
- 2 - 16 oz. cans of 14th Star Brewing Maple Breakfast Stout
- 2 to 2.5 cups sugar
To make the cocktail:
- 2 oz. Straight Bourbon or Maple Cask Rum
- 1.5 oz. stout simple syrup
- 1 oz. lemon juice
- To make the stout simple syrup, bring 2 - 16 oz. cans of the Maple Breakfast Stout to just below a rolling simmer in a saucepan.* Heat for 2-3 hours, whisking every 1/2 hour. Remove the froth that forms at the top. Once you have reduced the stout to about half (16 oz.), add sugar and stir until it is fully dissolved. Set the simple syrup aside to cool.
- In a shaker, combine Straight Bourbon or Maple Cask Rum, the stout simple syrup and lemon juice.
- Add ice to the shaker, and shake hard for about 15 seconds.
- Strain contents into a chilled coupe, and enjoy!
*Be careful not to boil the stout, as it will negatively effect the flavor of the simple syrup.
Keywords: Maple Stout Sour, Straight Bourbon, Maple Cask Rum, 14th Star Brewing, Mad River Distillers, Maple Breakfast Stout, stout simple syrup, lemon juice, craft cocktail