Using a homemade lime oleo-saccharum and our Maple Cask Rum, this Expat recipe packs much more flavor and will give you all the tropical vibes.
For the lime oleo-saccharum:
- 4 lime skins
- 8 oz. raw cane sugar
- 8 oz. hot water
For The Expat:
2 oz. of Maple Cask Rum
½ oz. of Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
¼ oz. of lime juice
¼ oz. of lime oleo-saccharum
3 dashes of Angostura Bitters
To make the lime oleo-saccharum:
- Remove zest from 4 lime skins (just the zest, and none of the white pith).
- In a bowl, combine the zest with 8 oz. of raw cane sugar.
- Muddle the sugar and lime zest together for several minutes to release oils from the zest, then place it in a closed container overnight.
- After infusing overnight, add 8 oz. of hot water and dissolve the sugar.
- Strain the liquid to remove all lime zests.
To make The Expat:
- Combine all ingredients in a shaker with ice.
- Shake and strain over a large ice cube in a rocks glass.
- Garnish with a lime wheel, and enjoy!
Keywords: Mad River Distillers, The Expat, lime oleo-saccharum, Maple Cask Rum, Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur, lime juice, Angostura Bitters, oleo-saccharum, water, raw sugar