This Bourbon Chicken and Couscous dinner recipe is adapted from Platter Talk’s Whiskey Chicken, using Mad River Distiller’s Bourbon Whiskey and boneless chicken breasts. There is no mistaking the Bourbon flavor in this simple sauce, drizzled over chicken and a bed of pearl couscous.
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp & 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup Mad River Distillers Bourbon Whiskey
- 1 cup pearl couscous
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- To prepare the couscous: In a small pan, bring 1 & 1/2 cups of chicken broth to a boil. Add a tsp of butter, then stir in the pearl couscous. Cover the pan with a lid, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until fully cooked.
- While the couscous is cooking, season the uncooked chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, warm 1 tbsp of butter and the olive oil over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, place the chicken breast in the skillet. Cook for 5 minutes on each side, then remove the chicken from the skillet and set it aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp of butter to the skillet, along with the onions. Stir the onions until softened, for about 5 minutes, and then add the garlic. Saute the garlic with the onions for about 1 minute.
- Add 2 cups of chicken broth to the skillet, along with the Bourbon Whiskey. Stir to mix, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Optional: If you like a thicker sauce, mix the cornstarch with a little water so it becomes a liquid, then slowly stir it into the sauce.
- Return the chicken to the skillet, and continue to cook on simmer for about 5 minutes on each side. (More or less cooking time may be needed, depending on the thickness of the cut. To be fully cooked, chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165F).
- Before removing the chicken, add the peas into the skillet and mix them into the Bourbon sauce, cooking for another 1-2 minutes.
- Layer the chicken and peas over a bed of prepared couscous. Then drizzle some of the Bourbon sauce over the chicken.
- Just a drizzle of the Bourbon sauce is recommended, as a little goes a long way. You can always add more to your liking.
- For food safety, be sure the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F.
- This recipe is for adults only. Alcohol is retained in the meal.
- Serving Size: 2
Keywords: Bourbon Chicken and Couscous, Bourbon Chicken, boneless chicken breasts, salt, pepper, unsalted butter, olive oil, onion, crushed garlic, chicken broth, Mad River Distillers Bourbon Whiskey, pearl couscous, peas, cornstarch