This Pumpkin & Maple Pecan Pie recipe is adapted from Food & Wine's Bourbon Pumpkin Pie with Pecan Streusel, using Mad River Distiller's Bourbon Whiskey and chopped maple pecans. It's a grown-up pumpkin pie that is perfect for the holidays.
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (we recommend King Arthur)
- 1/2 cup Sahale Maple Pecans, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups organic pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup Mad River Distillers' Bourbon Whiskey
- 1 pie crust
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Bake the pie crust according to package instructions (follow instructions for a pie with filling). Set it aside once the crust has baked.
- In a medium bowl, combine 4 tbsp of the unsalted butter, 1/4 cup of the brown sugar, and flour. Mix together until it is clumps like a streusel. Stir in the chopped maple pecans.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining 8 tbsp of unsalted butter and 3/4 cup of brown sugar. Using a mixer, beat at medium speed until light and fluffy, for about 1 minute. It is important that the butter is softened, but not entirely melted.
- In the same large bowl, now add the pumpkin puree, egg yolks, cornstarch, pumpkin spice and salt. Mix ingredients all together.
- Beat in the milk, followed by the Bourbon Whiskey.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until they are stiff. Fold the stiffened egg whites into the large bowl with the pumpkin pie filling, and mix until the egg whites are blended in.
- Pour the pie filling into the baked pie crust, and place it in the preheated oven on the middle rack. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Pull out the pie, then sprinkle the chopped maple pecans and brown sugar mixture over the top of the pie (it will cover the entire top of the pie), then return to the oven to bake for an addition 45 minutes (or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean). To protect your pie crust from burning, cover the crust with a pie shield or aluminum foil.
- Let the pie cool. When ready to serve, top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar.
- Alcohol is retained in baked goods, so this recipe is for adults only.
- If the pie filling seems thin once all the ingredients are blended, don't worry! It will become firm as it bakes.
Keywords: Mad River Distillers, Bourbon Whiskey, Pumpkin & Maple Pecan Pie, adult pie