This Dutch Apple Pie gets an adult makeover with some Bourbon-Whiskey infused spiced apples. It’s a little boozy, a little sweet, and tasty enough to be gone in a beat. But make sure to plan ahead! You’ll need several days to infuse your apples first.
- Mad River Distillers Bourbon Whiskey
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- 2 chopped apples (to infuse in Bourbon Whiskey)
- 3-4 chopped fresh apples
- 1 pie crust
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp flour
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ tsp pure lemon juice
- ¼ tsp lemon zest
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup flour
- 2 tsp water
- 3 Tbsp softened unsalted butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- At least 3 days before you bake the pie (ideally longer), infuse two apples for your pie filling. Peel the apples, then cut them into slices.
- In a large mason jar, add the apple slices, ¼ tsp cinnamon and ⅛ tsp nutmeg.
- Pour enough Bourbon Whiskey in the jar to cover the apples. Shake to blend the spices with the apples, and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- After three days of Bourbon and apple infusion, preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Prepare your pie crust by pressing it into the bottom and sides of a glass pie pan. Set it aside.
- Take out the mason jar with the Bourbon Whiskey-infused apples. Using a mesh strainer, strain the apples from the Bourbon. Set the spiced apple infused Bourbon aside–it will make for a great cocktail later.
- Peel and slice 3-4 fresh apples.
- In a large bowl, combine the Bourbon-infused apples with the fresh cut apples. Add the sugar, flour, salt, ½ tsp of ground cinnamon, ⅛ tsp of nutmeg, lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir well.
- To make the streusel topping, in a separate bowl, combine ½ cup sugar, ½ cup flour, 2 tsp water, 3 Tbsp softened unsalted butter, and 1 tsp cinnamon. Mix the ingredients together with a fork until it resembles crumbs.
- Pour the apple pie filling into the unbaked pie crust.
- Top the apple filling with the streusel mixture, spreading it out so that all of the apples are covered.
- Place the pie in the preheated oven, on the middle rack. Bake for 40 minutes (or until the pie is bubbling and the streusel topping is starting to brown). To protect your pie crust from burning, cover the crust with a pie shield or aluminum foil after 15 minutes of baking.
- After the pie is done cooking, let it cool for 1-2 hours. When ready to serve, top it with a dollop of whipped cream.
Spiced Apple Manhattan cocktail
Don’t let that apple-infused Bourbon Whiskey go to waste! In a shaker, combine: 1 oz of the apple-infused Bourbon, 1 oz of Bourbon Whiskey, ½ oz Carpano Antica, ½ oz dry vermouth, and a dash of Angostura bitters. Shake ingredients well, then strain contents over ice and top with a Luxardo Cherry. Enjoy!
Keywords: Mad River Distillers Bourbon Whiskey, cinnamon , nutmeg, chopped apples, pie crust, sugar, flour, salt, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, pure lemon juice, lemon zest, water, unsalted butter