A festive way to add to your July 4th festivities is by serving up some red, white and blue boozy Jello shots, made using our versatile Rum 44.
- 3 oz. package of red Jello (we used cherry flavor)
- 2 packets of Knox gelatin (unflavored)
- 3 oz. package of blue Jello (we used berry flavor)
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 cups (divided) of Mad River Distillers Rum 44 (or Vanilla Rum)
- 3 cups (divided) boiling water
- disposable shot cups
Before you begin, note that you need to let 4 hours set between each layer of Jello, so while this is a very easy recipe, you'll need to plan a day ahead.
- Using a platter or cookie sheet, set out a layer of disposable shot cups.
- Boil water. Empty the red Jello packet into a bowl, then add 1 cup of water once it is boiling. Stir the water into the Jello powder until it is dissolved.
- Next, add 1 cup of Rum 44 into the Jello mix and stir well. Allow at least ten minutes for the Jello to cool, then add 1 tbsp. of the red Jello into each shot cup.
- Store the Jello in the refrigerator for 4 hours until it is fully set.
- Once the red Jello layer is fully set, you can make the white layer. Add 1 cup of water to a saucepan and sprinkle two packets of unflavored Knox gelatin on top. Allow it to sit on the water for several minutes. You will start to see a gel-like surface form on top.
- Heat the pan over low heat, then stir in 1 cup of coconut milk. Be sure to mix the coconut milk well before adding to the pan. Cook on low until the gelatin is fully dissolved, and small bubbles form along the edge of the pan. You do not want to boil here.
- Add 1/4 cup sugar to the pan, and stir into the coconut gelatin mix until it is fully dissolved, then remove from the heat.
- Allow the coconut gelatin to cool for about 5 minutes, then add 1 cup of Rum 44 and stir well.
- Allow the coconut gelatin to cool for at least 10 minutes (or more) on the counter. You want to get the temperature cool enough so that you can add it to the red layer without melting it. Once it is cool enough, mix it once more, then add 1 tbsp. of the coconut gelatin on top of the red layer.
- Once again, store the Jello in the refrigerator for 4 hours until it is fully set.
- Once the white Jello layer is fully set, prepare your blue Jello following the same steps as the red Jello layer above. Be sure to allow the blue Jello to cool before adding 1 tbsp. to each shot cup.
- Refrigerate once more for 4 hours so that the top layer is now set. Once the top layer is solid, they are ready to serve!
Recipe adapted from My Mini Adventurer.
We used Rum 44 in this recipe, but depending on the flavor of the Jello, Vanilla Rum is another great possibility!
Keywords: July 4th jello shots, jello shots, Mad River Distillers, Rum 44, red white and blue shots, Vanilla Rum