A hearty and savory stew made with lamb (or beef), rainbow carrots, potatoes, onion and our Bourbon Whiskey. It’s the perfect meal for a winter evening or a St. Patrick’s Day celebration.
- 1 cup of onion
- 5-6 rainbow carrots (purple, orange & yellow)
- 1 pound of lamb or beef stew meat
- 10-12 small yukon gold potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups beef broth
- ¼ cup Mad River Distillers Bourbon Whiskey
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp dried thyme leaves
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp flour
- ½ cup water
- Cut the onion into chunks and place it in a 4-quart pot.
- Peel the rainbow carrots and cut them into 1-inch chunks, then place them in the pot.
- Cut the lamb or beef into 1-inch pieces as well, and place them in the pot.
- Add 2 cups of water, 2 cups of beef broth, and ¼ cup of Bourbon Whiskey* to the pot. Bring the pot to a boil.
- Add the salt, thyme leaves and black pepper to the pot and stir until well combined. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the stew, and cook for 1 hour.
- While the stew is cooking, cut each yukon potato into 4 quarters so that they are bite size chunks. After 1 hour, add the potatoes to the stew, stir well and replace the lid. Continue cooking for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine 3 tbsp of flour with ½ cup of water to create a slurry. After 30 minutes, remove the lid from the pot and stir in the slurry. The sauce should thicken quickly. Cook for about 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with a multigrain batard or sliced baguette.
*This recipe is for adults only. Alcohol is retained in the meal. To make this recipe without alcohol, simply substitute the Bourbon in step 4 with water.
Recipe adapted from cdkitchen.
Keywords: Mad River Whiskey Stew, onion, rainbow carrots, lamb, yukon gold potatoes, beef broth, Mad River Distillers Bourbon Whiskey, salt, dried thyme, ground black pepper, flour, water