- 1 pre-made pie crust
- 1 cup frozen dark sweet & red tart cherries
- 4 oz Revolution Rye Whiskey
- 1 oz Carpano Antica (or other Sweet Vermouth)
- 4 dashes Angostura Bitters
- 1 tsp syrup from jar of Luxardo Cherries
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 egg whisked with 1 tbsp water
- Coarse sugar
- Vanilla ice cream
- To make the Manhattan syrup: In a mason jar (or other glass with lid), combine the Revolution Rye, sweet vermouth, angostura bitters, Luxardo Cherries syrup, lemon juice and sugar. Mix all ingredients until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the frozen cherries to the mason jar. Make sure the cherries are completely covered by the Manhattan syrup. It may help to shake the cherries in the jar a few times to soften them. Set the jar aside for at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the pie crust from the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature. Once it is at room temperature, unroll the dough and cut it into two equal halves. Sprinkle a little flour on the counter if the dough is sticky, then roll each half of the dough into a circle. Place each circle on the baking sheet.
- After the cherries have been soaking in the Manhattan syrup for an hour, use a strainer to separate the cherries from the syrup. Set the cherries aside, and pour the syrup into a small sauce pan.
- With the sauce pan on medium-low heat, add the cornstarch to the Manhattan syrup. Stir occasionally as the syrup begins to thicken.
- Place ½ of the cherries onto the center of one pie crust. Fold the edges of the pie crust towards the center, leaving an opening in the center. Drizzle 2 tsp of the Manhattan syrup reduction over the cherries in the center of the Galette. Place the rest of the cherries onto the center of the 2nd pie crust, and follow the same steps. Some syrup should remain for the ice cream drizzle.
- Whisk the egg and water, then brush the egg wash over the folded pie crust. Sprinkle coarse sugar over the crust.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes, until the pie crust is golden brown.
- When ready to serve, top the center of each Galette with one scoop of vanilla ice cream. Drizzle the remaining Manhattan syrup reduction over the vanilla ice cream, and serve.
- This recipe is for adults only. Alcohol is retained in the dessert.