These simple mini key lime pies are made with key lime juice and fresh lime zest, then covered with a sweet rum-infused whipped topping.
- 1 ¼ cups of graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup sugar
- 5 tbsp melted unsalted butter
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 - 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
- 2-3 limes (for lime zest)
- ¾ cup key lime juice (such as Nellie & Joe’s Famous Key West Lime Juice)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp PX Rum
- To make the pie crust, first preheat your oven to 325 degrees. In a medium size bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter. Mix ingredients together with a fork until well combined.
- Divide the crumb mix between 4 mini pie shells. Press the crumb mix down into the bottom of the pie shells, and up along the sides. (It may be helpful to use the bottom of another pie shell to press the crumb mixture firmly against the bottom and sides.)
- Bake the crusts in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the crust begins to lightly brown. Remove the pie shells from the oven, and set them aside to cool. Leave the oven preheated to 325.
- Zest two limes, then set the zest aside. (If you want some extra zest on the top of the finished pie, zest a third lime.)
- In a mixing bowl, add the 4 egg yolks and can of sweetened condensed milk. Beat them over medium speed for several minutes. The pie filling should now have a smooth texture and be roughly double the volume.
- In the mixing bowl, add a pinch of salt, the key lime juice, and the fresh zest from two limes. Whisk them into the pie mixture.
- Once the mini pie pans have cooled, pour the pie mixture into each pan, then bake them in the oven for 10-15 minutes. The edges of the pie should be risen and firm, and there should be a slight jiggle in the center of each pie. Once it is done baking, remove them from the oven and set them aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, whip the heavy cream for several minutes until it begins to thicken. Add the sugar and vanilla, and continue to whip until you see stiff peaks form. Add the PX Rum, and whip for another minute until fully incorporated.
- Using a large spoon, spread the rum-infused whipped topping on the pie. Add some lime zest on top for added flavor. Serve cold.
- Fresh whipped cream should be served within a few hours.
- The whipped topping contains alcohol and is intended for adults 21+ only.