Our demerara-based PX Rum—which is finished in Pedro Ximenez sherry casks—adds some unexpected but complementary flavor to this rum ball recipe, an adaptation of Cafe Delites Rum Balls. The PX Rum adds a slightly nutty flavor to the chocolate and coconut. If you prefer, our Vanilla Rum (with it’s vanilla cupcake nose) also makes a great choice!
- 9 oz vanilla wafers, cookies or tea biscuits (we used Kedem Vanilla Tea Biscuits)
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 3 tablespoons PX Rum (or Vanilla Rum)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup and 3/4 cup finely shredded coconut
- pinch of salt
- Remove the vanilla tea biscuits (or wafers/cookies) from their package and seal them in a quart size ziplock bag. Using a mallet or rolling pin, crush the biscuits in the sealed ziplock to make fine crumbs. Alternatively, you can use a food processor.
- Once you have fine crumbs, pour them into a large bowl. Add 1/2 cup of shredded coconut, cocoa powder, condensed milk, PX Rum, vanilla extract and salt to the crumbs. Mix all of the ingredients together until completely combined. (The mixture should be thick as it will be rolled into balls.)
- In a smaller bowl, add 3/4 cup shredded coconut.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out the rum ball mixture. Use your hand to roll the mixture into 1 inch balls. Roll each ball into the bowl with shredded coconut, so that the ball is completely covered in coconut.
- Place the coconut covered rum balls on a tray covered with parchment paper. When all of the balls are on the tray, refrigerate them.
- Recipe adapted from Cafe Delites.
- This recipe is for adults only. Alcohol is retained in the dessert.
- If the balls begin to flatten, try refrigerating them for 10 minutes, then rolling them in more shredded coconut. You may need to do this more than once if you’re looking for a perfect circle.
Keywords: PX Rum Balls, vanilla tea biscuits, sweetened condensed milk, PX Rum, Vanilla Rum, pure vanilla extract, unsweetened cocoa powder, finely shredded coconut, salt