This is not your typical dessert! Acorn halves are roasted with a sweet topping and an ounce of our Vanilla Rum—which is an all natural rum infused with Tahitian vanilla beans—then served with a scoop of Tahitian Vanilla ice cream.
- 1 acorn squash
- ½ cup acorn squash seeds (optional, removed from squash)
- 1 tbsp & 1 ½ tsp unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tbsp & ¼ tsp brown sugar
- ¼ & ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- 2 ounces Vanilla rum
- 1 ½ tsp granulated sugar
- Tahitian Vanilla (or Vanilla Bean) ice-cream
- Preheat your oven to 400”F.
- Cut the acorn squash in half crosswise so that the stem is only on one half. Next, cut the stem off one half, and the pointed end of the acorn squash off the other half. You’ll want to cut just enough off the stem and pointed end so that each half can lay flat for roasting.
- Using a large spoon, scoop out the seeds and membrane from the middle of each acorn squash half, then place the squash in a casserole dish.
- Using a basting brush, coat the squash halves thoroughly (except for the skin) with the tbsp of unsalted butter.
- Coat the buttered surface of the squash with 1 1/2 tbsp of brown sugar (each).
- Lightly sprinkle cinnamon on top.
- In the center of each squash half, pour in one ounce of Vanilla Rum.
- Roast the squash halves for 1 hour, until the sugar has caramelized and the squash is tender.
- Optional garnish: While the squash is roasting, separate all the seeds from the squash membrane, then rinse and dry them. Once the seeds are dry, combine them with 1 ½ tsp of softened butter, 1 ½ tsp granulated sugar, ¼ tsp brown sugar and ⅛ tsp cinnamon. Spread the seeds out in a thin layer on a pan, and roast them for 15-20 minutes. Watch them carefully to avoid burning. Once the seeds are roasted, set them aside to cool.
- Remove any remaining Vanilla Rum from the center of each squash. Set the squash aside to cool for about 30 minutes.
- Once the squash has cooled, carefully add it to a bowl, then top the center with Tahitian Vanilla ice cream. (Optional: Sprinkle a handful of roasted sweet acorn seeds on top). Enjoy!
- This recipe contains alcohol and is intended for adults 21+ only.
- We used Walpole Creamery Tahitian Vanilla ice cream. If unavailable, you can substitute with Vanilla Bean ice cream.
- Recipe adapted by Ciao Florentina.
Keywords: Vanilla Rum, Roasted Acorn Squash, vanilla ice cream, Walpole Creamery Tahitian Vanilla ice cream, vanilla bean ice cream, rum roasted acorn squash