This cocktail not only has incredible flavor from our Vanilla Rum and a tropical passionfruit syrup, it has an incredible texture thanks to a coconut fat-wash.
For the Coconut Oil Fat-Washed Mad River Vanilla Rum:
- 8 oz. Mad River Vanilla Rum
- 3 tbsp melted unrefined coconut oil
For the Fat-Washed Vanilla Tropics cocktail:
- 1.5 oz. Coconut Fat-Washed Mad River Vanilla Rum
- 1 oz. Coconut Water (we used Green Valley Coconut Water)
- 1/2 oz. of fresh lime juice
- 1/4 oz. of Liber & Co. Tropical Passionfruit Syrup
To make a Coconut Oil Fat-Washed Mad River Vanilla Rum:
- In a mason jar, add 8 oz. of Mad River Vanilla Rum and 3 tbsp of melted (liquid) unrefined coconut oil.
- Shake both ingredients together well, 2-3 times within five minutes. Then, let the rum mix sit for 30 minutes. At this point the oil should start separating.
- Place the jar in the freezer for 24 hours. The coconut oil will solidify in the freezer, and form a solid on top.
- Once you remove the jar from the freezer, remove the solidified coconut oil. The fat washed rum is now ready to use in your favorite white rum drink.
To make a Fat-Washed Vanilla Tropics cocktail:
- Combine all ingredients in a shaker with ice.
- Shake and double strain into a rocks glass over crushed ice.
- Garnish with a lime wheel or wedge.
Keywords: Mad River Distillers, craft cocktails, craft spirits, Vanilla Rum, lime, fat-washed Vanilla Rum, coconut oil fat-washing, tropical passionfruit syrup